TOP STORIES

Ronaldo leads Real's rout of Liverpool

Liverpool: Real Madrid earned their first-ever win over Liverpool with a wondrous Cristiano...... Read More >>

Shock absorber to protect electronic devices

New Delhi: A shock absorber which can protect electronic devices like cell phones, tablets and...... Read More >>

Novak Djokovic welcomes baby boy

BELGRADE, Serbia: Novak Djokovic is a proud father. The top-ranked tennis player tweeted Wednesday...... Read More >>

Nadal storms into last eight

BASEL, Switzerland: After Rafael Nadal reached the Swiss Open quarterfinals in 57 minutes with a 6...... Read More >>

BJP govt in Maharashtra only after Deepavali

BJP's star may have risen on Maharashtra's political firmament but the party-led government will...... Read More >>

MOST POPULAR

VIDEO

Israel hits Gaza again as Palestinians toll rises to 1650

Saturday, 2 August 2014
PTI

Gaza/Jerusalem : Israel today carried out fresh attacks on southern Gaza Strip amidst a hunt for one of its missing soldiers believed to be captured by Hamas, as the new wave of violence has raised the Palestinians toll to 1650.

At least 50 people were killed overnight in Israeli strikes, most of them in Rafah, raising the Palestinians death toll to 1650, mostly civilians, Gaza health officials said.

They said 8,900 Palestinians have been injured so far.

Massive Israeli artillery shelling yesterday killed 160 Palestinians across the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip following the collapse of a 72-hour truce just two hours after it began.

Israel blamed Hamas for the breakdown of the ceasefire, accusing the Palestinian militant group of killing two Israeli soldiers and capturing another in Rafah area in southern Gaza Strip after the start of the truce.

Hamas, which rules the narrow coastal strip, today claimed responsibility for the incident but said it was carried out before the start of the ceasefire and it had not violated a US- and UN-sponsored humanitarian truce.

Its armed wing - Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades - said it had no information on the whereabouts of captured soldier and he might have been killed in massive Israeli shelling.

Meanwhile, several rockets were fired into Israel today.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said 51 rockets and mortar rounds hit Israel yesterday, with another nine rockets shot down by the Iron Dome missile defence system.

So far, 63 Israeli soldiers, including two Indian-origin, have been killed in the conflict. Nearly 400 soldiers have been injured. Three Israeli civilians and a Thai national also died in rocket and mortar attacks.

Israeli forces shot dead two Palestinians during separate clashes in the northern and central West Bank yesterday.

The Palestinian toll in the ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza has surpassed that of Operation Cast Lead in 2008-2009 as the conflict entered its 26th day today.

Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama asked Hamas to show it is serious about wanting a ceasefire and demanded the release of the captured Israeli soldier.

"I think it's going to be very hard to put a ceasefire back together again if Israelis and the international community can't feel confident that Hamas can follow through on a ceasefire commitment," Obama told reporters yesterday.

The US also blamed Hamas for the breakdown of the truce, saying the "barbaric" attack by the Palestinian militant group was an "outrageous violation" of the ceasefire.

Meanwhile, Egypt has decided to open the Rafah border crossing exceptionally to receive injured Palestinians.

The border was shut yesterday after a series of airstrikes hit Gaza near the Rafah border.


      

Today's E-Paper

Polls