Chennai: As per the directions of the Election Commission of India, the first State Steering Committee on Accessible Elections (SSCAE) meeting under the chairmanship of the Chief Electoral Officer was held here Tuesday, to make the entire electoral process accessible and inclusive for all persons with disabilities.
According to an official press release, members of the committee comprising officers from Education Department, Commissionerate for the Welfare of the Differently Abled, Commissionerate of Social Welfare, Public Works Department and representatives from the Disabled People’s Organisations participated.
The following aspects were discussed in the meeting
* To ensure that polling station wise mapping of Persons with Disabilities (PwD) electors is carried out in the State, and data is maintained and updated regularly.
* To ensure that PwDs who are not enrolled are identified and facilitating their enrolment in the electoral roll.
* To create an enabling barrier-free environment for efficient and effective electoral participation of PwDs in the State/UT.
* To ensure that trainings for polling personnel include a component on sensitizing them on special needs of PwDs.
* Wheel chair mobilisation
* To create disabled friendly assured minimum facilities in all the polling stations.