The revelation by Sri Lankan authorities that some of the suicide bombers who carried out the country’s worst terror attack on Easter Sunday last month had visited Kashmir and Kerala for ‘some sort of training’ or to ‘make some more links’ with other foreign outfits, needs to be looked into by India with all seriousness. That, too, Sri Lankan Army chief Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake’s claim that Zahran Hashim, alleged mastermind of the Easter Sunday terror attacks in Sri Lanka, likely transited Tamilnadu when he travelled to other Indian cities, should be thoroughly examined by officials in these parts, as it has come amid allegations that some people in a few parts of the State are in support of extremist outfits.
In an interview, Senanayake disclosed some details on the movement of the suspects in the region, and also their international links. ‘They have gone to India, they have gone to Kashmir, Bangalore; they have travelled to Kerala State. Those are the information available with us,’ he said. Asked what activities the attackers undertook in Kashmir and Kerala, the Army chief said: ‘Not exactly, but definitely in some sort of training or to make some more links towards the other organisations outside the country.’
Nine suicide bombers, including a woman, carried out a series of blasts that tore through three churches and three luxury hotels 21 April, killing 253 people and injuring over 500. The terror outfit, Islamic State, claimed responsibility for the attacks, but the government blamed the local extremist group National Thowheeth Jamaath (NTJ) for the blasts. Colombo has since banned the NTJ and arrested over 100 people for the blasts. There should not be a repeat of such incidents in any part of the world and Indian officials should ensure the safety of our country by probing the claims made by their Lankan counterparts.