Chennai: A major disaster was averted at a fuel station on GST Road in Meenambakkam this morning after a departmental store inside the premises caught fire. Four teams of Fire and Rescue Service personnel rushed to the spot and doused the flames.
According to reports, people saw smoke coming out of a departmental store located inside the petrol bunk earlier today. There is an ATM and a snacks shop adjacent to the store.
The staff at the petrol bunk alerted the Fire and Rescue officials following which fire tenders rushed from Tambaram, Guindy and Teynampet immediately to the spot.
They managed to bring down the flames in sometime and prevented it from spreading to the petrol bunk, thus avoiding a major mishap. People gathered in large numbers in front of the fuel station after the news spread.
A major fire was averted thanks to alert firefighetrs, say people in the locality.