Chennai: In a shocking incident, three of a family died after a refrigerator in their house exploded this morning at Selaiyur, Tambaram.
According to police, the victims were identified as Prasanna (39), who worked as reporter with a news channel, his wife Archana (32), a teacher with a private school in Selaiyur, and Prasanna’s mother Revathy (59).
The incident came to light at 6 am, when the domestic help reached the house for work. The family lived in an apartment at Thirumangai Mannan Street.
It is suspected that an alleged short circuit caused the fridge to blast. A neighbour Vinod said Prasanna tried to pour water to put off the flames but by then the trio had inhaled the poisonous gas from the fridge.