New Delhi: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is presenting the Union Budget today. She is the only second woman in the history of independent India to present the Union Budget.
* Foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows were robust in 2019 despite headwinds, rising 6% over the previous year.
* Proposals on 100% FDI in aviation and media will be examined.
* Sebi has been asked to condier increasing minimum public shareholding criterion from 25 per cent to to 35 per cent.
* Local sourcing rules will be eased for the single-brand retail sector.
* Government will invite suggestions on further opening up the aviation, media and animation sectors to FDI, in consultation with all stakeholders. 100% FDI will be permitted for insurance intermediaries.
* 30,000 km of roads have been built using green technology and recycled plastic. 125,000 km of roads will be upgraded under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
* 19.5 million houses will be constructed under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) between FY20 and FY22.
* Zero-budget farming will be replicated. The concept will help double farm income by 2022.
* Under Swachh Bharat, 96 million toilets have been built since 2016. Solid waste management to embrace all villages under the scheme.
* 80 livelihood business incubators and 20 technology business incubators to be set up in 2019-20 under ASPIRE to develop 75,000 skilled entrepreneurs in agro-rural industries.
* Business and easing of living should apply to farmers too. There is need to go back to zero budget farming.