Editorial: Health is wealth

The Centre has given its approval for setting up three more government medical colleges in Tamilnadu and sanction has so far been got for as many as nine such institutions this year alone. In a communication addressed to the State Health & Family Welfare Department, the Union Ministry announced the approval for the establishment of the new medical colleges under a Centrally Sponsored Scheme. Of the total approved cost of Rs 325 crore for each district, the Central government will share 60 per cent (Rs 195 crore) while the remaining 40 per cent (Rs 130 crore) will be borne by the government of Tamilnadu.

Chief Minister K Palaniswami has said acceding to his government’s request, the Centre ‘has ordered setting up new government medical colleges in the three districts of Krishnagiri, Tiruvallur and Nagapattinam’. Adequate land has been earmarked for the new colleges. Thanking Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Centre for the ‘not seen before’ sanctions, Palaniswami in a statement said getting approval for nine new government medical colleges in a single year is a ‘historic achievement.’ Already, on 23 October this year, Centre’s sanction for six new government medical colleges was obtained in one go and now additionally approval has been received for three more, he noted.

The Centre has given its sanction for Rs 2,925 crore estimate for the initiatives and of it, it has accorded approval for release of Rs 1,755 crore, the Chief Minister said adding the Tamil Nadu government will pitch in with Rs 1,170 crore. The Union government had recently approved medical colleges in Ramanathapuram, Nilgiris, Virudhunagar, Dindigul, Namakkal and Tirupur. Tamilnadu is already one of the leading States in the country in healthcare and this move will further increase its position. At the same time, people want speedy implementation of these projects.

NT Bureau