Reason behind SPB’s death, cremation and other details

The van which was waiting for the mortal remains of SPB.

Chennai: Veteran playback singer SP Balasubrahmanyam breathed his last at a private hospital here this afternoon due to cardiac arrest after recovering from Covid-19.

The 74-year-old singer was admitted to hospital after testing positive for the novel coronavirus. He had been on life support from 14 August, when his condition became critical.

The singer’s son SP Charan revealed that he was responsive to treatment and expressed hope of a complete recovery. But SPB’s health took a turn for the worse yesterday and he succumbed to his illness this afternoon. The news about his demise was informed to the media by Charan.

This morning, soon after rumours spread thick and fast about SPB’s health, security was tightened at the hospital (MGM Healthcare) in the city. A large posse of policemen, headed by a Deputy Commissioner were on security as the hospital was turned into a veritable security fortress, with the deployment of armed guard police.

Prominent personalities from the Tamil film industry, including directors Bharathiraaja, Manobala, Venkat Prabhu–who directed SPB’s production venture Chennai-600028–visited the hospital.

Reports say that the mortals remains of the singer would be cremated at his farm house at Thamaraipakkam near Red Hills.

Fans thronged the hospital in large numbers since last evening. Prayers were conducted outside the private facility.

A scene in front of the hospital today.

It may be recalled that 5 August, the day he was admitted to hospital after being diagnosed with Covid-19, SPB had gone live on Facebook to reassure his fans, stating that his symptoms were mild.

“Last two to three days I have been having a little discomfort. Discomfort means little chest congestion, which for a singer is nonsense. But I didn’t want to take it easy, so I went to the hospital and checked. So they said it was just a mild, mild, mild, very mild positive of corona. They said you can stay home and self quarantine yourself. But I didn’t want to do that. It is very tough in the place with all the family. They are very concerned, they can’t leave you alone. So I got admitted to the hospital”.


NT Bureau