Chennai: The Red Fort will remain closed for visitors till 31 January, according to an order issued by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
While the order does not mention the reason behind the closure, it refers to earlier orders of 6 January and 18 January whereby the iconic monument was closed from 19 January to 22 January due to a bird flu alert.
The monument was also shut from 22 January to 26 January due to the Republic Day celebrations. However, it was supposed to be open for visitors on 27 January, but it did not, sources said.
Sources said after the violence that erupted in the Red Fort premises on 26 January, the ASI has taken a decision to keep the gates shut to take stock of the damages.
Earlier on Wednesday, culture and tourism minister Prahlad Patel visited the site and has sought a report on the incident from the ASI.
While it is not clear if the iconic structure was damaged in any way, during the minister’s tour one could see vandalised metal detector gate and ticket counter, and broken shards of glass at the premises of the Red Fort.
The Minister had condemned the actions of the protesting farmers who entered the Red Fort and said it violated the symbol of dignity of India’s democracy.
I do not want to say anything on the issue yet. I have sought a report, let it come, Patel said.