Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Moroccan security forces arrest nearly 300 migrants
WORLD

Moroccan security forces arrest nearly 300 migrants

AgencyBy AgencyAugust 18, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Casablanca,  Aug 18:

Hundreds of migrants trying to reach the Spanish exclave of Ceuta by land and sea were arrested by Moroccan security forces, Moroccan state television reported, as authorities tightened security along the border following calls for a new mass crossing.

Moroccan state broadcaster Medi 1 TV on Sunday said 294 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa were arrested Saturday while attempting to enter Ceuta. Authorities also arrested 61 Moroccans accused of facilitating the migration attempts, the broadcaster reported.

The attempted crossings followed a surge in social media posts calling on migrants to make their way to Ceuta, a Spanish city on Morocco’s northern coast. In response, Moroccan and Spanish authorities beefed up security and limited movement toward the area.

The latest attempt comes two weeks after tens of thousands of would-be migrants, driven by poverty and misinformation, rushed toward Ceuta in one of the deadliest migration crises in the region. At least 90 people died on both sides of the border, according to official numbers, while human rights groups reported higher figures.

The interior ministry did not respond to AP’s questions about the latest arrests or the number of security personnel deployed around the border to prevent a new migration push.

A senior Moroccan diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, previously said more than 20,000 Moroccan security personnel are deployed along the border with Ceuta each day, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Thousands of migrants from across Africa and beyond travel to Morocco each year, fleeing conflict, poverty and instability and seeking a route into Europe. Many attempt to reach Ceuta or Melilla, another Spanish exclave on Morocco’s northern coast, hoping eventually to make their way to mainland Spain and better economic opportunities.

 

Moroccan security forces arrest nearly 300 migrants
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleTN govt takes property registration fully online for first sales
Next Article Iran working to finalise Hormuz agreement with Oman

Related Posts

WORLD

China’s former premier Zhu Rongji cremated

August 19, 2026
WORLD

Student kills schoolmate in Philippine

August 19, 2026
WORLD

Over 52 including children injured in Kabul blast

August 19, 2026
WORLD

Venezuela quake death toll rises to 6,438

August 19, 2026
WORLD

Ship attacked during transit through the Strait of Hormuz

August 19, 2026
WORLD

Trump cites India’s voter cards to make case for American Act

August 19, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

E-paper 19 August 2026

NT BureauAugust 19, 20260

Anishma Anilkumar explores mature role in Modha Rathiri

NT BureauAugust 19, 20260

Actress Anishma Anilkumar, who earned appreciation for her performances in Sirai and Youth, is set to portray a mature and emotionally layered character in the upcoming Tamil film Modha Rathiri.

WC: India eves crush SA 

AgencyAugust 19, 20260

India produced a dominant 6-1 win over South Africa in their 2026 FIH Women’s Hockey World Cup group match in Amsterdam, taking a major step towards the next round.

Priya Bhavani Shankar Calls Irumudi Kattu a special journey

NT BureauAugust 19, 20260

Actress Priya Bhavani Shankar says her role as Kaveri in the upcoming film Irumudi Kattu has been one of the most special journeys of her career.

Senegal hires Vieira as coach

AgencyAugust 19, 20260

Senegal hired Patrick Vieira as its new coach on Tuesday to replace Pape Thiaw, who was fired after the team was eliminated from the World Cup in the round of 32.Senegal announced the news in a post on Instagram, without

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • E-paper 19 August 2026
  • Anishma Anilkumar explores mature role in Modha Rathiri
  • WC: India eves crush SA 
  • Priya Bhavani Shankar Calls Irumudi Kattu a special journey
  • Senegal hires Vieira as coach
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 3   +   5   =  
Lost password?