Chennai: The officials of Chennai Metrowater Board are now creating awareness among people about the importance of rainwater harvesting (RWH). As a part of this programme, S P Velumani, Minister of Rural Development and Implementation of Special Programmes, flagged off the campaign van yesterday.
A press release from Metrowater listed the steps it will take forward to enlighten people.
* All government buildings in Chennai will be checked to see if RWH plant have been installed. If not, the directors of the department will be sent separate letters, stressing the need to instal it.
* All individual houses, apartments, business complexes and educational institutions will be inspected if rainwater harvesting functions properly.
* The students of schools will also be involved in awareness campaigns. They will be the carriers of news to the people.
* The campaign van will come around the areas that come under the Metrowater and talk about the importance of and need for RWH.
* Competitions on essay writing, rangoli and wall paintings on the topic of ‘Importance of Rainwater Harvesting’ will be conducted for students at 15 Metrowater zonal offices in the city.
* The board members will participate in an awareness walkathon at Marina Beach Road.
* A short film will be made featuring leading actors stressing the importance of RWH. This will be broadcast in theatres and by Tamilnadu government cable TV.