Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Farmers to meet today to decide on Centre’s offer

Farmers to meet today to decide on Centre’s offer

NT BureauBy NT BureauDecember 26, 2020No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Chennai: The protesting farmer unions met on Friday to discuss the government’s latest letter inviting them for talks, with some of them indicating that they may decide to resume their dialogue with the Centre to find a solution to the ongoing deadlock over the three contentious agri laws.

The unions said they will hold another meeting on Saturday where a formal decision on the Centre’s invite for the resumption of stalled talks is likely to be taken.

An official in the Union ministry of agriculture and farmers’ welfare also said the government was expecting the next round of meeting to take place in the next two-three days.

One of the protesting union leaders, who did not wish to be named, said their demand for a legal guarantee on minimum support price will, however, remain the same.

“We have another meeting tomorrow to take a decision on the Centre’s letter. In this meeting, we may decide to resume talks with the government as it appears through its previous letters that it has not been able to understand our issues so far,” the leader said on Friday.

He said the government’s letters have no proposals, the reason why farmer unions may decide to hold fresh talks and make it understand their demands.

“MSP cannot be separated from our demand of repealing these three laws. In these laws, there is mention about private mandis. Who will ensure that our crop is sold at fixed MSP if it is not there?” another leader asked.

On Friday, several farmer unions held a meeting, but no decision could be taken on the Centre’s latest letter.

On Thursday, Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Vivek Aggarwal wrote to the protesting unions and invited them for fresh talks, but made it clear that it would not be ‘logical’ to include in the agenda any new demand related to the MSP, which is out of the purview of the three new farm laws.

The All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee Friday demanded that the Centre arrange trains so that farmers from different parts of the country reach the ongoing protests at Delhi’s border points, adding that they are ready to pay the cost of tickets for all peasants.

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi squarely blamed those with a political agenda for the deadlock in the Centre’s talks with the protesting farmers and asserted that his government was willing to hold dialogues with all, including those staunchly opposed to it, as long as talks are based on farm issues, facts and logic.

 

Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleGiant Aldabra tortoise ‘stolen’ from Chennai’s Crocodile Park, Probe underway
Next Article Indian government may reduce oil subsidy by half
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

2 more Air India pilots fail drug screening test

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

Two more pilots of the Air India group have returned non-negative results in mandatory psychoactive substance screening, days after the airline introduced compulsory testing for its pilots following the Phuket-Delhi flight fiasco, sources said on Monday.

5th TN international kite festival concludes successfully

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The 5th Tamil Nadu International Kite Festival, organised by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Department in association with Global Media Box at the TTDC Ocean View premises in Mamallapuram, concluded successfully drawing more than 40,000 visitors over three days.

HC orders Dawn Pictures to secure ₹8.39 cr in Sudha Kongara case

Balasubramani MuniyandiAugust 17, 20260

The Madras High Court has directed Dawn Pictures Private Limited, producer of the Sivakarthikeyan-starrer Parasakthi, to furnish security for ₹8.39 crore in connection with a remuneration dispute filed by director Sudha Kongara.

DMK walks out, Udhayanidhi attacks TVK government

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The DMK staged a walkout from the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Monday, alleging that the TVK government had failed to provide a satisfactory explanation over the murder of Coimbatore college student Amudhan and other issues involving sexual assault and drug-related crimes.

Meghamalai Row: Minister blames DMK, Promises quick solution

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The Meghamalai issue triggered a heated exchange in the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Monday, with Minister Nirmalkumar accusing the previous DMK government of mishandling the region’s legal and administrative issues and assuring that the TVK government would take all possible steps to find a permanent solution.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • 2 more Air India pilots fail drug screening test
  • 5th TN international kite festival concludes successfully
  • HC orders Dawn Pictures to secure ₹8.39 cr in Sudha Kongara case
  • DMK walks out, Udhayanidhi attacks TVK government
  • Meghamalai Row: Minister blames DMK, Promises quick solution
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 1   +   1   =  
Lost password?