No shortage of Covid-19 vaccines for next 3 days: TN Minister

Madhya Pradesh Medical Education Minister Vishwas Kailash Sarang met Tamilnadu Health Minister M Subramanian and Health Secretary Dr J Radhakrishnan in Chennai today and interacted about measures taken to control Covid.

Chennai: Covid vaccination in general and Covishield in particular, which was put on hold in Chennai due to lack of doses, has resumed in full swing.

Health Minister Ma Subramanian said that there will be no shortage of vaccines in Tamilnadu for the next three days.

“So far 1.83 crore persons have been vaccinated in Tamilnadu on behalf of the government,” he said.

He further said that 5.42 lakh corona vaccines will arrive in Tamilnadu today evening.¬†“As many as 72 lakh doses have been alloted to Tamilnadu for July,” he said.¬†Subramanian also added that no one has died in the State due to the lack of oxygen.

“Chief Minister M K Stalin had earlier requested the Union government to allot one crore additional doses to the State. There is no information about it so far,” he said.

In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Stalin said that the number of vaccine doses provided to the State was only 302 per thousand eligible population. Stalin underlined that it was much lower when compared to the vaccine doses made available to many of the BJP-led States.

“This is very low when compared to the vaccine doses made available to comparable States such as Gujarat, Karnataka and Rajasthan, which are at 533, 493 and 446 respectively,” the letter read.

Tamilnadu has received over 1.8 crore vaccines till 20 July and 1,98,74,408 doses have been administered to the people in the State as per the CoWin website.
At present, the Union government procures 75 per cent of the vaccines produced and the rest 25 per cent are made available to private hospitals.