Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » ‘Deal to release Hamas-held hostages has been reached’
WORLD

‘Deal to release Hamas-held hostages has been reached’

AgencyBy AgencyJanuary 17, 2025No Comments
🌐 Translate â–Ÿ
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email
Beirut, Jan 17: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says a deal to return Hamas-held hostages in the Gaza Strip has been reached.
The announcement came a day after Netanyahu’s office said there were last minute snags in talks to free hostages in return for a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of Palestinian prisoners.
Netanyahu said he will convene his security cabinet Friday and then the government to approve the agreement.
Israel delayed a Cabinet vote Thursday on the long-awaited ceasefire deal that would pause the fighting in the Gaza Strip and release dozens of hostages. Israeli airstrikes, meanwhile, killed at least 72 people in the war-ravaged territory.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed a last-minute dispute with Hamas for holding up the approval as rising tensions in Netanyahu’s government coalition raised concerns about the implementation of the deal just a day after U.S. President Joe Biden and key mediator Qatar announced it was complete.
That created a dual reality: War-weary Palestinians in Gaza, the relatives of hostages held in the enclave and world leaders all welcomed the result of months of painstaking diplomacy, even as Netanyahu postponed the Cabinet vote on the agreement that had been scheduled for Thursday until Friday, at the earliest.
Netanyahu’s office accused Hamas of reneging on parts of the agreement in an attempt to gain further concessions — without specifying which parts.
“Hamas is backing out of the understandings and creating a last-minute crisis that prevents a settlement,” Netanyahu’s office said.
In a briefing Thursday, David Mencer, an Israeli government spokesman, said Hamas’ new demands dealt with the deployment of Israeli forces in the Philadelphi corridor, the narrow strip bordering Egypt that Israeli troops seized in May.
Hamas denied the claims, with Izzat al-Rishq, a senior Hamas official, saying the militant group “is committed to the ceasefire agreement, which was announced by the mediators.”
It wasn’t clear to what extent the holdup in the approval of the deal — originally scheduled to go into effect Sunday — also reflected jockeying to keep Netanyahu’s wobbly government together.
The ceasefire agreement has drawn fierce resistance from Netanyahu’s far-right coalition partners, on whose support the Israeli prime minister depends to remain in power. On Thursday, Israel’s hardline national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, threatened to quit the government if Israel approves the ceasefire.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty called on Israel and Hamas to implement a Gaza ceasefire plan “without any delay” in an exclusive interview Thursday with The Associated Press. Egypt has been a key mediator between the enemies for years and a leading player in ongoing ceasefire negotiations.
The deal announced Wednesday would see scores of hostages held in Gaza released and a pause in fighting with a view to eventually wind down a 15-month war that has destabilized the Middle East and sparked worldwide protests.
Hamas triggered the war with its October 7, 2023, cross-border attack into Israel that killed some 1,200 people and took 250 others hostage.
Israel responded with a devastating offensive that has killed over 46,000 Palestinians, according to local health officials, who do not distinguish between civilians and militants but say women and children make up more than half of those killed.
The military campaign has leveled vast swaths of Gaza, and pushed about 90 per cent of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million from their homes. Hundreds of thousands are struggling with hunger and disease in squalid tent camps on the coast.
'Deal to release Hamas-held hostages has been reached'
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleIndonesian President Subianto will be R-Day chief guest: MEA
Next Article Traffic Chaos at GST Road 

Related Posts

WORLD

Meeehul Choksi’s lawyer charged with sexual assault

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Charter plane crash kills 8 near western Alaska

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Iran dismisses US economic threats

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Indonesia, China discuss increasing defence cooperation 

August 22, 2026
NATION

2 vessels carrying 22 Indians hijacked off Yemen

August 21, 2026
WORLD

Ex-Pak PM Imran back in jail after medical check-up

August 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Latest Posts

Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker JCD Prabhakar on Saturday warned that remarks expunged from the House records should not be circulated on social media as reels or in any other form.

Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Members of the public, film personalities and political leaders are paying their last respects to veteran actor Sowcar Janaki, whose mortal remains was kept at her residence in Teynampet.

Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Inflow into the Cauvery at Hogenakkal rose to 12,000 cusecs on Saturday following continued releases from Karnataka’s Kabini and Krishnarajasagar (KRS) dams, prompting authorities to maintain safety restrictions for tourists at the popular waterfall destination.

CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Vijay on Saturday congratulated two teachers from the state who have been selected for the National Teachers’ Awards to be presented on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.

TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president and Virudhunagar MP B Manickam Tagore on Saturday criticised the Centre over the proposed charges for cash withdrawals from basic bank accounts, alleging that the Narendra Modi government was imposing a financial burden on poor and vulnerable sections.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker
  • Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki
  • Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow
  • CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards
  • TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 7   +   3   =  
Lost password?