Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Biden executive order aims to shore up US cyber defences
WORLD

Biden executive order aims to shore up US cyber defences

AgencyBy AgencyJanuary 17, 2025No Comments
🌐 Translate â–Ÿ
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email
Washington, Jan 17: President Joe Biden issued an executive order on Thursday aimed at strengthening the nation’s cybersecurity and making it easier to go after foreign adversaries or hacking groups that try to compromise US internet and telecommunication systems.
Provisions in the order call for the development of minimum cybersecurity standards for government technology contractors and require that contractors submit evidence that they’re complying with the rules.
They also are aimed at making it easier for US authorities to sanction foreign governments that target the US with cyberattacks — a change that comes after several recent hacking incidents linked to China, Iran, Russia and North Korea. Among other changes, the order allows sanctions to be imposed on foreign hackers who target hospitals or other organisations with ransomware.
The order also requires federal agencies to improve cybersecurity to protect against the threat posed by powerful quantum computers, which cyber experts say could be used to easily break into many systems. It’s an issue that could have direct national security implications if a foreign adversary builds a computer sophisticated enough to break American codes.
The White House issued the order just days before Biden, a Democrat, leaves office. Republican President-elect Donald Trump’s administration could rescind the policy in favour of its own proposals. But deputy national security adviser Anne Neuberger said the order’s twin goals — strengthening cybersecurity and punishing those responsible for cyberattacks — should win bipartisan support.
The order is intended to show that “America means business when it comes to protecting our businesses and our citizens,” Neuberger said while briefing reporters on the new policies.
The policies build on several earlier actions by the Biden administration intended to boost defences against cyber intrusions — whether they target the government, critical infrastructure like ports or power plants, US businesses or individual users.
Earlier this month, the White House announced a labelling program designed to help consumers pick smart devices that are more resistant to hacking. Under the cyber trust mark program, manufacturers of internet-connected devices can attach the label to let buyers know the product meets federal cybersecurity standards.
Trump has not announced his picks for top national cybersecurity positions. John Ratcliffe, Trump’s nominee to be CIA director, said Wednesday during his Senate confirmation hearing that it’s essential the US improve its defensive and offensive cyber capabilities to keep up with China and other adversaries.
“We have the best code makers and code breakers in the world,” Ratcliffe said of American spy agencies. “But if China gets to quantum computing before we do, that’s a real problem.”
Biden executive order aims to shore up US cyber defences
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleHindenburg, which targeted Adani, shuts shop
Next Article Indonesian President Subianto will be R-Day chief guest: MEA

Related Posts

WORLD

Meeehul Choksi’s lawyer charged with sexual assault

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Charter plane crash kills 8 near western Alaska

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Iran dismisses US economic threats

August 22, 2026
WORLD

Indonesia, China discuss increasing defence cooperation 

August 22, 2026
NATION

2 vessels carrying 22 Indians hijacked off Yemen

August 21, 2026
WORLD

Ex-Pak PM Imran back in jail after medical check-up

August 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Latest Posts

Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker JCD Prabhakar on Saturday warned that remarks expunged from the House records should not be circulated on social media as reels or in any other form.

Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Members of the public, film personalities and political leaders are paying their last respects to veteran actor Sowcar Janaki, whose mortal remains was kept at her residence in Teynampet.

Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Inflow into the Cauvery at Hogenakkal rose to 12,000 cusecs on Saturday following continued releases from Karnataka’s Kabini and Krishnarajasagar (KRS) dams, prompting authorities to maintain safety restrictions for tourists at the popular waterfall destination.

CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Vijay on Saturday congratulated two teachers from the state who have been selected for the National Teachers’ Awards to be presented on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.

TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president and Virudhunagar MP B Manickam Tagore on Saturday criticised the Centre over the proposed charges for cash withdrawals from basic bank accounts, alleging that the Narendra Modi government was imposing a financial burden on poor and vulnerable sections.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker
  • Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki
  • Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow
  • CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards
  • TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 6   +   1   =  
Lost password?