Washington, May 20:
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump discussed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran during a phone call, according to Israeli media reports cited by Kan TV. A senior Israeli official said the United States could potentially join Israel in coordinated strikes if hostilities with Iran resume. Netanyahu later convened a cabinet meeting to review Israel’s security situation across multiple fronts.
The call came amid intensified rhetoric from Trump, who warned Iran that it must reach a deal with Washington or face severe consequences. He said “the clock is ticking” and warned of “a very bad time” if Tehran failed to comply. Trump also made public statements and shared an AI-generated image reinforcing pressure on Iran, signalling a tougher stance.
The developments follow a fragile ceasefire reached on April 8 after 40 days of fighting involving Iran, Israel, and the United States, which began with joint strikes on Iran in February. After the truce, Iranian and US delegations held talks in Islamabad on April 11–12, but those negotiations failed to produce an agreement.
Since then, diplomatic mediation efforts have continued, with proposals exchanged on ending the conflict. However, no breakthrough has been achieved, and tensions remain high as both sides continue to weigh diplomatic engagement alongside the possibility of renewed military escalation.

