Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Bhavnagar spurious liquor tragedy: 61 affected; 25 still in hospital; 10 critical
NATION

Bhavnagar spurious liquor tragedy: 61 affected; 25 still in hospital; 10 critical

Sixty-one persons have been affected so far due to consumption of spurious liquor in Gujarat’s Bhavnagar district, with eight deaths confirmed and 10 patients being critical, officials said Friday.
AgencyBy AgencyAugust 22, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

 

Bhavnagar, Aug 22:

Sixty-one persons have been affected so far due to consumption of spurious liquor in Gujarat’s Bhavnagar district, with eight deaths confirmed and 10 patients being critical, officials said Friday.

As many as 25 persons, who consumed the liquor containing methanol, a highly toxic substance, are still undergoing treatment, the district administration said.

Police have arrested 13 of the 21 accused named in the FIR registered at Vartej police station in connection with the hooch tragedy. Gujarat is a ‘dry’ state where the manufacture, sale and consumption of alcohol is banned.

“A total of 61 persons have been affected, with 25 still undergoing treatment. Eighteen other persons who consumed the liquor approached the hospital and left after taking advice from the doctors,” the district administration office said.

Of those being treated, 15 are stable, while ten are in ICUs (intensive care units), including one on ventilator support. Ten others have been discharged so far, it added.

According to police, the victims consumed spurious liquor packed in bottles bearing the name of a popular Indian-made foreign liquor brand.

The accused persons have been booked for charges like culpable homicide not amounting to murder, adulteration and poisoning under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and Prohibition Act. A local court on Thursday remanded them in police custody for 10 days.

The probe has been handed over to the State Monitoring Cell (SMC), a special Gujarat police unit that tracks state-wide illicit liquor and gambling operations.

The illicit hooch was allegedly prepared at the house of one Gautam Solanki, a resident of Vartej, with the help of Raees, who was detained from Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. The toxic liquor was packed and sealed in bottles and supplied to bootleggers for distribution.

The matter came to light after three friends consumed the liquor at Vartej on the night of August 16, but all took ill, and one of them died.

The examination of the blood sample of the first victim, Upendrasinh Gohil, showed the presence of methanol.

More deaths followed, and many more were hospitalised with severe complications. The liquor contained 38.59 per cent methanol and 0.94 per cent ethanol, a Forensic Science Laboratory report showed, said officials.

Bhavnagar spurious liquor tragedy: 61 affected; 25 still in hospital; 10 critical
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous Article3 workers killed as building shuttering collapses in UP’s Vrindavan
Next Article Iran dismisses US economic threats

Related Posts

NATION

Locals push CJP team out of Rajasthan village

August 22, 2026
NATION

SC comes to rescue of 105-yr-old murder convict, makes its 2024 bail order final

August 22, 2026
NATION

Ten injured as crane topples onto houses in Mumbai’s Kurla

August 22, 2026
NATION

ED raids Kadapa MP YS Avinash Reddy, others in PMLA case

August 22, 2026
NATION

3 workers killed as building shuttering collapses in UP’s Vrindavan

August 22, 2026
NATION

2 vessels carrying 22 Indians hijacked off Yemen

August 21, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker JCD Prabhakar on Saturday warned that remarks expunged from the House records should not be circulated on social media as reels or in any other form.

Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Members of the public, film personalities and political leaders are paying their last respects to veteran actor Sowcar Janaki, whose mortal remains was kept at her residence in Teynampet.

Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Inflow into the Cauvery at Hogenakkal rose to 12,000 cusecs on Saturday following continued releases from Karnataka’s Kabini and Krishnarajasagar (KRS) dams, prompting authorities to maintain safety restrictions for tourists at the popular waterfall destination.

CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Vijay on Saturday congratulated two teachers from the state who have been selected for the National Teachers’ Awards to be presented on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.

TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president and Virudhunagar MP B Manickam Tagore on Saturday criticised the Centre over the proposed charges for cash withdrawals from basic bank accounts, alleging that the Narendra Modi government was imposing a financial burden on poor and vulnerable sections.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker
  • Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki
  • Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow
  • CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards
  • TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 1   +   4   =  
Lost password?