Washington, May 23:
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that talks with Iran had made “slight progress,” though he cautioned against overstatement and stressed that negotiations were still ongoing with no clear outcome yet.
His comments came amid growing uncertainty over whether a diplomatic agreement will be reached or if renewed conflict could follow.
The talks take place against the backdrop of US President Donald Trump’s shifting approach to Iran.
Trump recently said he was holding off on a military strike due to “serious negotiations,” but has repeatedly set and then withdrawn deadlines for Iran to reach a deal.
He has warned for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could collapse if Tehran fails to agree to US demands.
Rubio spoke ahead of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Sweden, where allies are expected to discuss potential post-war roles in securing key maritime routes such as the Strait of Hormuz.
Despite describing “a little bit of movement,” he acknowledged that no substantive breakthrough had been achieved.
The situation has been complicated by inconsistent signals from Washington. Trump has at times indicated openness to diplomacy, while also authorising or threatening military strikes.
Reports suggest he recently called off attacks at the request of regional allies, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, though tensions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have reportedly increased as a result. Netanyahu is said to be frustrated with Trump’s engagement in negotiations.
Diplomatic efforts continue in parallel across the region. Pakistan has reportedly conducted high-level visits to Tehran in an attempt to reduce tensions, while also coordinating broader peace discussions involving China.
Despite these efforts, major disagreements remain unresolved. The status of the Strait of Hormuz remains a critical issue, with conflicting claims over maritime security and blockades affecting commercial shipping.
The US and Israel insist Iran must never obtain a nuclear weapon, while Trump seeks limits on Iran’s nuclear programme, including restrictions on highly enriched uranium. Iran maintains that its nuclear activities are strictly for peaceful purposes.
Meanwhile, reports from unnamed officials suggest regional escalation during the conflict, including alleged strikes by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates against Iran-linked targets in Iraq and Iran.
These actions, if confirmed, underscore the broader regional dimension of the conflict and the fragility of ongoing ceasefire efforts.

