Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • Tamilnadu Election 2026
  • Puducherry Election 2026
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • IPL 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » UAE says it will leave OPEC effective May 1
WORLD

UAE says it will leave OPEC effective May 1

NT BureauBy NT BureauApril 29, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Dubai, Apr 29:

The United Arab Emirates announced Tuesday that it will leave the oil cartel OPEC and its wider OPEC+ group effective May 1, a move rumoured for some time as the Emirates chafed under production restrictions and had increasingly frosty relations with neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

The UAE had been a longtime member of OPEC, first through its emirate of Abu Dhabi in 1967 and later when the UAE became its own country in 1971.

But the UAE has been increasingly trying to leverage its own foreign policy in the Middle East that has contradicted some positions of Riyadh over time – particularly as Saudi Arabia began to directly challenge the Emirates in trying to draw foreign investments as the kingdom opened up under assertive Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The UAE made the announcement via its state-run WAM news agency.

“This decision reflects the UAE’s long-term strategic and economic vision and evolving energy profile, including accelerated investment in domestic energy production, and reinforces its commitment to a responsible, reliable, and forward-looking role in global energy markets,” the UAE said.

“Following its exit, the UAE will continue to act responsibly, bringing additional production to market in a gradual and measured manner, aligned with demand and market conditions,” the country added.

Saudi Arabia long has been considered a heavyweight of OPEC, an oil cartel based in Vienna that has seen some of its market power wane as the United States increased its production of crude oil in recent years.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE increasingly have competed over economic issues and regional politics, particularly in the Red Sea area.

The two countries had joined in together in a coalition to fight against Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels in 2015. However, that coalition broke down into recriminations in late December, when Saudi Arabia bombed what it described as a weapons shipment bound for Yemeni separatists backed by the UAE.

Saudi broadcasters long based in Dubai, the economic hub of the UAE, have pulled back to the kingdom in recent months as well as the tensions rose.

UAE says it will leave OPEC effective May 1
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleTN Exit Polls to Be Released This Evening, Set to Indicate 2026 Verdict Trend
Next Article Afghan Ministry condemns Pak strike on Kunar varsity

Related Posts

WORLD

Trump, Netanyahu hold call on Iran escalation

May 20, 2026
WORLD

Modi holds talks with Finnish Petteri Orpo in Norway

May 20, 2026
WORLD

Ebola outbreak in Congo: 131 confirmed dead

May 20, 2026
WORLD

UK gets youngest Indian-origin Mayor at 23

May 20, 2026
WORLD

Trump halts Iran attack amid Gulf diplomatic push

May 20, 2026
WORLD

Five dead, including gunmen, in hate crime at San Diego mosque

May 19, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Latest Posts

Ground Realities

AgencyMay 20, 20260

India’s decision to place the Indus Waters Treaty in abeyance following the Pahalgam terror…

Trump, Netanyahu hold call on Iran escalation

AgencyMay 20, 20260

Washington,  May 20: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump discussed…

Modi holds talks with Finnish Petteri Orpo in Norway

AgencyMay 20, 20260

Oslo, May 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday met his Finnish counterpart, Petteri…

Ebola outbreak in Congo: 131 confirmed dead

AgencyMay 20, 20260

Kinshasa, May 20: At least 131 deaths and 513 suspected cases have been reported in…

UK gets youngest Indian-origin Mayor at 23

AgencyMay 20, 20260

London, May 20: Tushar Kumar, a 23-year-old councillor originally from Haryana, has made history by…

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Ground Realities
  • Trump, Netanyahu hold call on Iran escalation
  • Modi holds talks with Finnish Petteri Orpo in Norway
  • Ebola outbreak in Congo: 131 confirmed dead
  • UK gets youngest Indian-origin Mayor at 23
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 6   +   3   =  
Lost password?