Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » SC grants bail to 2 Indian Mujahideen ‘operatives’
NATION

SC grants bail to 2 Indian Mujahideen ‘operatives’

The Supreme Court has granted bail to two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives, who were in custody since 2014, saying their continued incarceration was "grossly violative" of the right to liberty enshrined under Article 21 of the Constitution.
AgencyBy AgencyJuly 30, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

 

New Delhi, July 30:

The Supreme Court has granted bail to two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives, who were in custody since 2014, saying their continued incarceration was “grossly violative” of the right to liberty enshrined under Article 21 of the Constitution.

A bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta noted that the petitioners — Mohd Saquib Ansari and Waqar Azhar — were incarcerated in connection with a terror case lodged in Delhi for nearly 12 years with no prospect of an early conclusion of the trial.

“The progress of the trial has been extremely slow and there appears to be no prospect of the trial being concluded in the near future,” the bench said in its July 27 order.

It also noted that one of the co-accused was already enlarged on bail.

The top court passed the order on separate pleas filed by Ansari and Azhar challenging an April order of the Delhi High Court that had refused to grant them bail in the case registered by the Special Cell of Delhi Police in November 2011.

” …we feel that the continued incarceration of the petitioners in this case is grossly violative of the right to liberty enshrined under Article 21 of the Constitution of India,” the bench said.

It noted that the petitioners were arrested in connection with three FIRs, including two registered in Rajasthan, in 2014 and had remained in custody ever since.

The bench said that in one of the cases lodged in Rajasthan, both the petitioners were convicted by a trial court in March 2021 and subsequently, the sentence awarded to them was suspended by the high court.

It said trial in another case registered against them in Rajasthan was pending and both the petitioners had already been granted bail in that case.

“Having appreciated the submissions advanced at bar and upon going through the record, we find that the petitioners have, more or less, been implicated in three separate FIRs for overlapping allegations,” the bench said.

It directed that the petitioners be released on bail on such terms and conditions as may be imposed by the trial court in connection with the FIR registered in Delhi, subject to them not being required in any other case.

The bench said the petitioners would continue to cooperate with trial.

SC grants bail to 2 Indian Mujahideen 'operatives'
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleDecisive step
Next Article Ukraine vessel seafarers being monitored: Indian Embassy

Related Posts

NATION

Locals push CJP team out of Rajasthan village

August 22, 2026
NATION

SC comes to rescue of 105-yr-old murder convict, makes its 2024 bail order final

August 22, 2026
NATION

Ten injured as crane topples onto houses in Mumbai’s Kurla

August 22, 2026
NATION

ED raids Kadapa MP YS Avinash Reddy, others in PMLA case

August 22, 2026
NATION

Bhavnagar spurious liquor tragedy: 61 affected; 25 still in hospital; 10 critical

August 22, 2026
NATION

3 workers killed as building shuttering collapses in UP’s Vrindavan

August 22, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker JCD Prabhakar on Saturday warned that remarks expunged from the House records should not be circulated on social media as reels or in any other form.

Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Members of the public, film personalities and political leaders are paying their last respects to veteran actor Sowcar Janaki, whose mortal remains was kept at her residence in Teynampet.

Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Inflow into the Cauvery at Hogenakkal rose to 12,000 cusecs on Saturday following continued releases from Karnataka’s Kabini and Krishnarajasagar (KRS) dams, prompting authorities to maintain safety restrictions for tourists at the popular waterfall destination.

CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Vijay on Saturday congratulated two teachers from the state who have been selected for the National Teachers’ Awards to be presented on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.

TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges

NT BureauAugust 22, 20260

Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president and Virudhunagar MP B Manickam Tagore on Saturday criticised the Centre over the proposed charges for cash withdrawals from basic bank accounts, alleging that the Narendra Modi government was imposing a financial burden on poor and vulnerable sections.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Don’t post expunged Assembly remarks as reels: Speaker
  • Public pay last respects to Sowcar Janaki
  • Water released from Karnataka lifts Cauvery inflow
  • CM Vijay congratulates TN teachers on National Awards
  • TNCC chief flays Centre for bank withdrawal charges
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 7   +   7   =  
Lost password?