Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Friday, August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Congo says death toll in Ebola outbreak has passed 1,500
WORLD

Congo says death toll in Ebola outbreak has passed 1,500

AgencyBy AgencyJuly 31, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Bunia, July 31:

The fastest-growing Ebola outbreak has killed more than 1,500 people in eastern Congo, official data released on Thursday showed, marking a 50 per cent increase in around a week that shows the emergency continuing to outpace response efforts.

As of Tuesday, 3,442 cases had been recorded, with 1,521 deaths, according to the latest government update.

Congo says death toll in fastest-growing Ebola outbreak has passed 1,500

The outbreak, which was declared on May 15, has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment.

There are currently 797 patients in isolation or hospitalised, while a further 615 patients have recovered, the data showed. Contact tracing continues to lag, with only around 78 per cent of known contacts monitored nationwide, well below the 95 per cent target health officials say is needed to interrupt transmission.

The outbreak is mostly concentrated in eastern Congo’s remote Ituri province, which accounts for nearly 90 per cent of cases, but there have been other confirmed cases in five provinces, including one of the country’s largest cities, Kisangani.

Neighbouring Uganda declared itself free of Ebola on Tuesday following the discharge of the country’s last patient in mid-June.

Ebola is rare, but highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is severe and often fatal.

The latest outbreak has killed more people at a quicker rate than any previous outbreak, including in 2014-2016, when 28,000 cases were reported, of which over 11,000 people died. That outbreak took about eight months to reach 1,000 deaths.

The speed of transmission in the current outbreak comes amid public concern that many communities in the affected provinces are either unreachable or have been abandoned by responders in recent days over safety concerns amid attacks from angry residents and rebels.

International partners supporting the Ebola response in Ituri’s Nyakunde health zone temporarily withdrew after a July 15 attack on a hospital and a treatment centre, sparked by a patient’s death.

Officials say the withdrawal of aid groups, including the World Health Organisation, Africa CDC, Samaritan’s Purse and Mercy Corps, has disrupted surveillance, contact tracing and supplies.

Local health officials say security has since stabilised and are urging partners to return, with Africa CDC saying teams could redeploy as soon as next week.

500 Congo says death toll in Ebola outbreak has passed 1
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleAfter Rahul, Dipke seeks Amit Shah’s resignation over student protest crackdown
Next Article Hasina to be arrested on return: Bangladesh Law Minister

Related Posts

WORLD

Man stabbed to death in Sydney

August 20, 2026
WORLD

Indian-origin couple killed in UK aircraft crash

August 20, 2026
WORLD

Congo’s Ebola outbreak breaches 5,000-mark

August 20, 2026
WORLD

New Green Card rule threatens Indians with wider scrutiny

August 20, 2026
WORLD

Trump halts talks with Iran

August 20, 2026
WORLD

China’s former premier Zhu Rongji cremated

August 19, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

‘Implement Cauvery water orders strictly’

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Chief Minister Vijay on Thursday urged the Centre and the southern States to ensure that the Supreme Court’s directions and the orders of the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) on the sharing of Cauvery water are strictly implemented, while calling for inter-State river disputes to be handled with mutual trust, scientific evidence and respect for the law.

Karnataka submits revised DPR for Mekedatu dam

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Karnataka has submitted a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) to the Central Government for its proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery, reviving a long-standing inter-State dispute with Tamil Nadu.

Massive fire at paper mill in Tirunelveli

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Goods worth several lakh rupees were destroyed after a massive fire broke out at a private paper mill at Vadukampatti near Kallur in Tirunelveli district on Wednesday, with firefighting operations continuing for a second day on Thursday as the blaze remained difficult to bring under control.

South CMs meet: DKS pitches Mekedatu as water-sharing solution

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Karnataka Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar on Thursday used the South Indian Chief Ministers’ Conference in Kovalam to pitch the proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery as a project that, he said, could benefit both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu by storing water for use during periods of scarcity.

Sivakasi fireworks inspections politicised: Minister Keerthana

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Industries Minister Keerthana on Thursday accused the Opposition of politicising the issue of inspections at fireworks manufacturing units in Sivakasi, even after the government had addressed the concerns raised by workers and manufacturers.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • ‘Implement Cauvery water orders strictly’
  • Karnataka submits revised DPR for Mekedatu dam
  • Massive fire at paper mill in Tirunelveli
  • South CMs meet: DKS pitches Mekedatu as water-sharing solution
  • Sivakasi fireworks inspections politicised: Minister Keerthana
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 9   +   2   =  
Lost password?