Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Cummins ruled out of Ashes opener
SPORTS

Cummins ruled out of Ashes opener

AgencyBy AgencyOctober 28, 2025No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email
Canberra, Oct 28: Australia captain Pat Cummins has been ruled out of the first Ashes Test due to a back injury, with Steve Smith set to lead the side in his absence.
The Australia captain has been sidelined with a back stress injury since July and had earlier this month said he was “less than likely” to feature in the first Test against England in Perth starting November 21.
“We’ve run out of time,” head coach Andrew McDonald told reporters here.
“We sort of flagged this a week or so ago that it would take sort of four plus weeks to get him up and running and we’ve run out of time, unfortunately, but really optimistic and hopeful for the second Test match.
“We’ve grappled with it for a little while. The nature of the injury is that you never know and you’re sort of taking it a day by day,” he added.
McDonald said the talismanic pacer will resume bowling this week and is hopeful the captain will be fit in time for the second Test in Brisbane, starting December 4.
“He’ll be back bowling this week, and that’s a huge step. That was the big variable that we wanted to add in. We’re on the journey to that that second Test match, and very hopeful that that will be a positive outcome.
“We’ll see how he pulls up and then we’ll make decisions moving forward,” McDonald said.
“I know that sounds really boring and everyone wants a time frame and what’s the risk associated with it. There’s better people than I to speculate on what that is.”
He will travel to Perth with the Test squad next month.
“Patty will be around the group as well, he’ll come to Perth . and it’ll almost be one of those things where you’ll see him and it’ll almost be a question of, ‘Why isn’t he playing in Perth?’ That’s where we think he’ll be placed by that that stage,” said the coach.
Smith, who has captained Australia six times in Cummins’ absence since 2021, will lead the side.
“We flip into Steve Smith being the captain and we’re incredibly fortunate to have such an experienced captain,” McDonald said.
“He’s filled in for Patty six times since Patty’s taken over, so they’re a good working sort of couple, so to speak. I don’t want that to be a grab or anything, but they work well together and there’ll be a nice hand over and Patty will be around the group as well.
Scott Boland is likely to join Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood in Australia’s pace attack in Perth.
“Losing your captain is not ideal, but when you talk about Scott Boland being the potential replacement, it’s not a bad position to be in.”
Cummins ruled out of Ashes opener
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleWomen’s WC: Shafali replaces injured Pratika 
Next Article Sindhu ends 2025 season early to focus on recovery

Related Posts

SPORTS

WC: India eves hold China

August 17, 2026
SPORTS

Djokovic crashes out of Cincinnati Open

August 17, 2026
SPORTS

Legends slam Oz after Test loss against B’desh

August 17, 2026
SPORTS

India faces acid test against England,Eyeing end to their 32-year WC jinx

August 17, 2026
SPORTS

Harmanpreet brace powers India to 3-1 World Cup win over Wales

August 15, 2026
SPORTS

Praggnanandhaa bounces back; crushes Van Foreest

August 15, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Latest Posts

2 more Air India pilots fail drug screening test

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

Two more pilots of the Air India group have returned non-negative results in mandatory psychoactive substance screening, days after the airline introduced compulsory testing for its pilots following the Phuket-Delhi flight fiasco, sources said on Monday.

5th TN international kite festival concludes successfully

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The 5th Tamil Nadu International Kite Festival, organised by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Department in association with Global Media Box at the TTDC Ocean View premises in Mamallapuram, concluded successfully drawing more than 40,000 visitors over three days.

HC orders Dawn Pictures to secure ₹8.39 cr in Sudha Kongara case

Balasubramani MuniyandiAugust 17, 20260

The Madras High Court has directed Dawn Pictures Private Limited, producer of the Sivakarthikeyan-starrer Parasakthi, to furnish security for ₹8.39 crore in connection with a remuneration dispute filed by director Sudha Kongara.

DMK walks out, Udhayanidhi attacks TVK government

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The DMK staged a walkout from the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Monday, alleging that the TVK government had failed to provide a satisfactory explanation over the murder of Coimbatore college student Amudhan and other issues involving sexual assault and drug-related crimes.

Meghamalai Row: Minister blames DMK, Promises quick solution

NT BureauAugust 17, 20260

The Meghamalai issue triggered a heated exchange in the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Monday, with Minister Nirmalkumar accusing the previous DMK government of mishandling the region’s legal and administrative issues and assuring that the TVK government would take all possible steps to find a permanent solution.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • 2 more Air India pilots fail drug screening test
  • 5th TN international kite festival concludes successfully
  • HC orders Dawn Pictures to secure ₹8.39 cr in Sudha Kongara case
  • DMK walks out, Udhayanidhi attacks TVK government
  • Meghamalai Row: Minister blames DMK, Promises quick solution
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 3   +   1   =  
Lost password?