Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Sunday, May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • Tamilnadu Election 2026
  • Puducherry Election 2026
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • IPL 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » 4 dead, 3 missing as rain lashes Kerala; red alert issued

4 dead, 3 missing as rain lashes Kerala; red alert issued

NT BureauBy NT BureauJuly 22, 2019No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala is reeling under heavy rain and the India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued red alert in Kasargod, Idukki, Kozhikode and Kannur districts till 23 July. Kozhikode, Wayanad and Kannur districts were issued alert today. Orange alert has been issued in Kottayam, Ernakulam, Thrissur and Malappuram till 25 July.

Four people have died in rain related incidents and three are missing. Among the missing are two fishermen from Tamilnadu. While a Coast Guard ship and two boats of Marine Enforcement are searching for the two, the body of Sahayaraju was found in Kollam district. The Navy retrieved the body of Manesh Sebastian, who had gone missing in the Meenachil river of Kottayam district. A media report said Koshy Varghese (53) drowned in the Manimala river at Thiruvalla while fishing and Dileep Kumar (54) from Kollam died when a coconut tree fell on him Friday. A man who had gone into the Fort Kochi beach for bathing is missing.

Coastal areas are bearing the brunt of the rough sea and hundreds of houses have been evacuated from coastal areas. . Six relief camps have been opened by the Thiruvananthapuram district administration and 143 families from the coastal areas have been moved there.

District Collector K Gopalakrishnan issued a release saying that a total of 603 people are in relief camps and food and other necessary items are being provided.

While in Kannur, the district administration has declared holiday for all educational institutions today, in Kottayam district, holiday has been declared for most educational institutions tomorrow.

Tourists have been warned to stay away from Shankumugham Beach in Thiruvananthapuram. Fishermen have been cautioned from venturing into the sea. A minor landslide occurred in Idukki on Saturday at Konnathady village, but there were no casualties.

The rain has caused flooding in many areas, and 12 relief camps have been opened for those living in low-lying areas. 13 houses have been fully damaged so far and 71 partially in the state. “As of now, we have opened two relief camps in Kasargod. Nearly 15 persons have been shifted there. There are many others who have opted to move to their relatives,” a disaster management official from Kasargod said.

Water in the Periyar, Pamba and Chaliyar rivers are reportedly rising. The Kariangode river is in spate and flooded 50 houses in the vicinity. People have been shifted to relief camps Northernmost Kasaragod district received a maximum rainfall of 9 cm, and some places in Kannur received 9.7 cm, said the report.

In a huge relief, four fishers who had gone missing after putting out to sea from nearby Vizhinjam on Wednesday, returned safely Saturday. Their boat had developed a technical fault and was drifting about 28 nautical miles from the shore. The fishermen, who were left without food, have been shifted to a hospital. The families of the missing fishermen had been staging protests at Vizhinjam beach area since Friday demanding immediate action to trace their kin. In Arratupuzha, relief camps have been opened to accommodate the families, who were shifted there after sea water entered their houses.

Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleRamya Haridas to not accept car gifted by Youth Congress
Next Article Met department forecasts heavy rain in parts of Tamilnadu
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Latest Posts

E-paper 23 May 2026

NT BureauMay 23, 20260

Coal mine gas explosion in China kills 82

NT BureauMay 23, 20260

Eighty-two people were killed in a gas explosion in a coal mine in China, according to an official media report.

Theatre owners seek ₹250 cap on ticket prices

NT BureauMay 23, 20260

Representatives of the Multiplex Theatre Owners’ Association have submitted a petition to Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay, urging the Tamil Nadu government to revise movie ticket pricing and fix the maximum ticket rate at ₹250 across theatres in the state.

Vijay did not give opportunities based on caste: HR & CE Minister Ramesh

NT BureauMay 23, 20260

Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR & CE) Minister Ramesh has stated that Chief Minister Vijay has not given opportunities or responsibilities based on caste, rejecting allegations suggesting otherwise during a media interaction.

Inquiry ordered into death of nursing student at Tiruchy GH

NT BureauMay 23, 20260

The Tamil Nadu Health and Family Welfare Department has ordered a high-level inquiry into the death of a nursing student at the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital (MGMGH), which is attached to the KAP Viswanatham Government Medical College in Tiruchy. The action follows allegations that the student died due to medical negligence during treatment for a nasal blockage condition.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • E-paper 23 May 2026
  • Coal mine gas explosion in China kills 82
  • Theatre owners seek ₹250 cap on ticket prices
  • Vijay did not give opportunities based on caste: HR & CE Minister Ramesh
  • Inquiry ordered into death of nursing student at Tiruchy GH
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 10   +   9   =  
Lost password?