Becker declared bankrupt


Berlin : Former Wimbledon champion Boris Becker told a London court he felt shocked and embarrassed after being declared bankrupt just days before the 2017 tournament at the All England Club.

The six-time Grand Slam winner said the negative publicity had damaged brand Becker and left him struggling to make enough money to pay off his debts. Becker was declared bankrupt in June 2017 and is currently on trial accused of failing to hand over assets including nine trophies and medals from his glittering tennis career.

The 54-year-old German said he had been seeking to pay off a more than £3 million ($3.9 million) loan from private bank Arbuthnot Latham, including through the sale of his estate in Spain.

The court heard the bankruptcy decision came days before Wimbledon, where Becker was working for the BBC as well as Australian and Japanese television stations.

As you can imagine, I was very shocked at the fact. Because it was all over world news, and I walked through the gate of Wimbledon and everyone knew. I was embarrassed because I was bankrupt, Becker said.

He told jurors the bankruptcy was also in the midst of a stressful time with his then wife Sharlely Lilly Becker, while they were living in separate quarters at his rented house in Wimbledon.

Describing an incident while he was commentating on the men’s quarter final involving Roger Federer, he said: My son called me saying my wife was breaking down the house – the furniture, the windows. The police came… while I was on site.

Becker, who arrived at court with his partner Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro, sat at the witness box on Monday to give evidence.