Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Monday, May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • Tamilnadu Election 2026
  • Puducherry Election 2026
  • Other States Elections 2026
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • IPL 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Protests grow strong against land acquisition for eight-lane highway

Protests grow strong against land acquisition for eight-lane highway

S Ben RajaBy S Ben RajaDecember 17, 2018No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

Chennai / Tiruvannamalai: At a time when the Madras High Court has reserved its order for the petitions against acquisition of 1,125 acres of land for the construction of the government’s ambitious 277.3 km long eight-lane highway connecting Salem and Chennai under the Centre’s ‘Bharatmala Pariyojana’ scheme, Ettu Vazhali Salai Ethiruppu Kootamaippu today organised a massive protest in front of Tiruvannamalai Collectorate Office against the acquisition process.

Moreover the organisation said it’s geared up to go even to Supreme Court for preserving the lands of the farmers. The Union ministry of Road Transport and Highways on 1, 2 and 3 December issued a fresh set of notifications to initiate land acquisition in Salem, Dharmapuri, Tiruvannamalai and Kancheepuram districts for the Rs 10,000-crore Chennai-Salem greenfield expressway project. The ministry issued the notifications citing National Highway Act, 1956, despite the High Court’s 15 September order not to proceed with acquisition by citing that Act.

Not only that, Additional Solicitor General, at that time, also made a submission that acquisition will not take place until a decision was taken on the realignment for the project.

Shortly after the December notifications were issued, fresh petitions were filed in the High Court to stop the acquisition process. The court directed Assistant Solicitor General to file an affidavit explaining the impact of the new notifications and received a response 14 December that there were minor changes in alignments. Then the court reserved it verdict.

Speaking to News Today, Ettu Vazhali Salai Ethiruppu Kootamaippu coordinator S Abiraman, said, “The State and Central governments are proceeding with the acquisitions despite the petition live at the court. This a pure contempt of court and the reason why we are here protesting at the Collectorate office. We are awaiting the order to come in our favour as it will save thousands of farmers from losing their lands and also many forests from getting destroyed. If the order goes the other way, we are also ready to challenge it in the Supreme Court.”

Earlier in June, the association, which comprises of 26 organisations and political parties under its wings, sent 10,000 letters with receipts to the Chief Minister, Governor and the District Collectorate Offices concerned to grab government’s attention stop the project. Also, at a time when the protests took a new dimension, the State government curtailed them with iron hand by arresting three key persons activist Piyush Manush, actor Mansoor Ali Khan, and student activist Valarmathi.

1,510 to lose lands in Kanchipuram district
Going by the notification concerning Kancheepuram district alone, land would be acquired from as many as 1,510 people, including government poramboke land, in 39 villages in Sriperumbudur, Chengalpet and Uthiramerur taluks in the district.

 

What are the new alignments?
As per the realignment draft submitted by the government, the required area of the lands has come down and has also avoided demolition of several houses in various villages. The alignment, which earlier passed through Theerthamalai reserve Forest, has been changed and now would be formed on the outskirts of the forest.

 

Not for Salem alone
Coming down heavily on the critics of the eight-lane Chennai-Salem super highway, Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami last week pointed out that the ambitious project was aimed at linking several cities right down south to Kanyakumari and to Kochi (Kerala) in deep west.
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleSindhu, first Indian to win World Tour Finals, gets BAI cash reward
Next Article Tourism will be a game-changer for Arunachal: CM Pema Khandu
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Latest Posts

Senior AIADMK leader Semmalai resigns amid party turmoil

NT BureauMay 18, 20260

Senior leader S. Semmalai on Monday resigned from the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, intensifying the ongoing internal crisis within the party.

CM Vijay holds key consultations with Ministers

NT BureauMay 18, 20260

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay held a crucial round of high-level consultations with his cabinet colleagues, underlining a renewed focus on governance, coordination, and delivery of public welfare.

Satheesan sworn-in as Chief Minister of Keralam

NT BureauMay 18, 20260

In Keralam, the new UDF Ministry headed by senior Congress leader V. D. Satheesan was sworn in today at Thiruvananthapuram. Governor Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar administered the oath to the new ministers.

Stalin takes indirect swipe at CM Vijay

NT BureauMay 18, 20260

At a DMK functionary’s family wedding in Thanjavur, party president M. K. Stalin launched a sharp, indirect attack on Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay, criticising the way the recent Assembly election was fought and won.

Habeebi gets a release date

NT BureauMay 18, 20260

Director Meera Kathiravan’s much-awaited film Habeebi has officially locked its release date, raising anticipation among Tamil cinema fans.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • Senior AIADMK leader Semmalai resigns amid party turmoil
  • CM Vijay holds key consultations with Ministers
  • Satheesan sworn-in as Chief Minister of Keralam
  • Stalin takes indirect swipe at CM Vijay
  • Habeebi gets a release date
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 6   +   4   =  
Lost password?