Chennai, May 20:
M. Veerapandian, State Secretary of the Communist Party of India, on Tuesday strongly condemned the alleged gang rape of a young woman in Pudukkottai district and urged the State government to ensure stringent action against all those involved.
In a statement, he recalled that Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay had, soon after assuming office on May 10, ordered the formation of the “Singappen Special Task Force” aimed at strengthening women’s safety, with a Government Order issued in this regard.
Against this backdrop, Veerapandian said the survivor, who had been living with her mother after the loss of her father, was allegedly waylaid, abducted and subjected to sexual assault by anti-social elements while returning home from work on Sunday evening. The incident reportedly occurred within the Mazhaiyur police limits.
The victim was later found in a distressed condition on the roadside and was admitted to hospital with the assistance of a woman police constable. She is currently undergoing treatment, officials said.
Police have arrested two persons in connection with the case so far. Meanwhile, protests have erupted in the area, with members of the public demanding the immediate arrest of all those involved and strict punishment for the accused.
Veerapandian urged the government to expedite the investigation, ensure the arrest of all perpetrators, and provide comprehensive medical care and adequate compensation to support the survivor’s future security.
He stressed that swift and decisive action was essential to uphold law and order and reinforce public confidence in the system.

