Close Menu
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
  • E-PAPER
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads YouTube
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Thursday, August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
Login / Register Subscribe
  • HOME
  • TAMIL NADU
  • CHENNAI
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EDIT
  • COLUMNS
    • POINTBLANK
    • WHY TN IS FORBIDDEN LAND
  • MIXED BAG
    • CLIMATE & WEATHER
    • EDUCATION
    • HEALTH
    • JOBS
    • LEGAL
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SCIENCE
    • TECHNOLOGY
News Today | First with the newsNews Today | First with the news
  • E-PAPER
  • POINTBLANK
  • PRIME PULSE
  • TN ECHOES
  • FIFA 2026
  • DEEP DIVE
  • GLOCAL
  • COLD FACTS
  • LEADING LIGHTS
  • CRYSTAL GAZING
  • PATTERNS
Home » Neeraj not obsessed with 90m
SPORTS

Neeraj not obsessed with 90m

Two-time Olympic medallist Neeraj Chopra says he is not "obsessed" with breaching the 90-metre mark every time he competes, insisting that winning major titles and delivering consistently in difficult conditions matter more than chasing a magical number.
AgencyBy AgencyJuly 27, 2026No Comments
🌐 Translate ▾
  • Tamil
  • Hindi
  • Malayalam
  • Kannada
  • Telugu
Share WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Copy Link Email

 

Glasgow, July 27:

Two-time Olympic medallist Neeraj Chopra says he is not “obsessed” with breaching the 90-metre mark every time he competes, insisting that winning major titles and delivering consistently in difficult conditions matter more than chasing a magical number.

The reigning world champion, who finally crossed the coveted 90m barrier with a personal best throw of 90.23m at the Doha Diamond League last year, said his priority at any championship is to finish on top, with distance being secondary.

“No, I don’t feel that pressure, nor do I obsess over a specific distance. As an athlete, my goal is always to improve my distance,” Chopra said in response to a PTI query.

“I always feel in major Games, the main challenge is winning gold among the best athletes in the world. The second thing is distance. So I feel I need to keep increasing my distance.” The 28-year-old acknowledged that weather and other external factors often influence javelin competitions, making consistency just as important as throwing big.

“But when the conditions are tough, we are not able to get the distance. In that case, we have to be consistent. So I feel I should maintain my consistency and see how I can also increase my distance,” he said.

Having erased years of speculation by finally breaking the 90m barrier, Chopra said improving his personal best remains an important long-term objective.

“I definetly want to improve my throw.” Men’s javelin has become one of Asia’s most competitive events, with Pakistan’s Olympic champion Arshad Nadeem, Sri Lanka’s Diamond League winner Rumesh Pathirage and Chopra regularly challenging each other on the international circuit.

“That’s a good thing. When the competition is tough, we are able to push each other more. Especially in South Asia, there is a lot of strong competition now. Everyone will push themselves here,” Chopra said.

Chopra returns to the Commonwealth Games for the first time since winning gold on debut at the 2018 Gold Coast edition, having missed Birmingham in 2022 through injury.

“The field is quite tough. Olympic and World Championship, Commonwealth Games and Asian Games medallists are here. All of them perform in the Diamond League.

With rain and gusty winds forecast for the competition, Chopra said he has already begun preparing for the challenging conditions and believes the mental battle will be as important as the physical one.

“I was doing some training throws yesterday. The conditions are tough, but they are the same for everyone,” he said.”No matter how bad the conditions are, we have to stay mentally strong. I always think about how to produce the absolute best throw in the worst conditions.” Talking about his fitness he said. “It is good now. I played my first competition in Doha after recovering, and it went well. I worked on my weaknesses and fitness, and I feel much better now.

The title in Australia was the first senior international gold medal of his career and marked the beginning of his rise to becoming one of the sport’s biggest stars.

“I have very good memories of the Commonwealth Games. It was my first senior competition at the Commonwealth Games, and I essentially started my senior career there when I won gold,” he said.

“It’s been eight years now, and finally I am back here.

“As I always say, when you represent your country, big Games are always special.

“I am happy that I am back on the field, I am feeling good, and I have been working on my game for a while now. The nature of the competition has changed a lot in the last eight years,” he said.

Neeraj will be in action on July 30 when the men’s javelin throw qualification is scheduled.

Neeraj not obsessed with 90m
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Email
Previous ArticleIndia reclaim top spot in ICC T20I rankings
Next Article Anti-paper leak Bill to be debated today as Parliament ends week-long deadlock

Related Posts

SPORTS

Brook dethrones Head as top Test batter

August 20, 2026
SPORTS

Indian women takes on England in World Cup, Eyes top spot in Pool D of the tournament 

August 20, 2026
SPORTS

World Championships: Sindhu, Ayush win, Lakshya out

August 20, 2026
SPORTS

Manav Suthar helps IND defeat SL in Galle

August 20, 2026
SPORTS

India defeats Pak 5-3 in Men’s Hockey WC

August 20, 2026
SPORTS

WC: India eves crush SA 

August 19, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Latest Posts

‘Implement Cauvery water orders strictly’

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Chief Minister Vijay on Thursday urged the Centre and the southern States to ensure that the Supreme Court’s directions and the orders of the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) on the sharing of Cauvery water are strictly implemented, while calling for inter-State river disputes to be handled with mutual trust, scientific evidence and respect for the law.

Karnataka submits revised DPR for Mekedatu dam

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Karnataka has submitted a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) to the Central Government for its proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery, reviving a long-standing inter-State dispute with Tamil Nadu.

Massive fire at paper mill in Tirunelveli

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Goods worth several lakh rupees were destroyed after a massive fire broke out at a private paper mill at Vadukampatti near Kallur in Tirunelveli district on Wednesday, with firefighting operations continuing for a second day on Thursday as the blaze remained difficult to bring under control.

South CMs meet: DKS pitches Mekedatu as water-sharing solution

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Karnataka Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar on Thursday used the South Indian Chief Ministers’ Conference in Kovalam to pitch the proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery as a project that, he said, could benefit both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu by storing water for use during periods of scarcity.

Sivakasi fireworks inspections politicised: Minister Keerthana

NT BureauAugust 20, 20260

Industries Minister Keerthana on Thursday accused the Opposition of politicising the issue of inspections at fireworks manufacturing units in Sivakasi, even after the government had addressed the concerns raised by workers and manufacturers.

About
About
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram RSS
Latest Posts
  • ‘Implement Cauvery water orders strictly’
  • Karnataka submits revised DPR for Mekedatu dam
  • Massive fire at paper mill in Tirunelveli
  • South CMs meet: DKS pitches Mekedatu as water-sharing solution
  • Sivakasi fireworks inspections politicised: Minister Keerthana
© 2026 NewsTodayNet.com. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Maintained by Gifted Technologies.
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Prove your humanity: 0   +   5   =  
Lost password?