Chennai, May 23:
PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss on Friday urged the Centre not to accept the detailed project report (DPR) prepared by Karnataka for the proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery river, intensifying opposition from Tamil Nadu leaders.
In a statement, Anbumani said the Tamil Nadu government should press the Union government to revoke the 2018 permission granted to Karnataka for preparing the draft project report without the State’s consent. He maintained that any move forward on the project would violate Tamil Nadu’s rights over the Cauvery waters.
Taking strong exception to remarks by Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar, Anbumani termed as “condemnable” the claim that Tamil Nadu has no right to oppose the Mekedatu project. He also rejected Shivakumar’s assertion that the DPR had already been submitted and that the project would proceed immediately after approval.
Highlighting the river’s significance, Anbumani said the Cauvery irrigates 14 districts and supplies drinking water to nearly five crore people across 30 districts, including Chennai. He warned that the construction of a dam at Mekedatu would severely impact agriculture and drinking water supply in Tamil Nadu.
He further pointed out that the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal had ruled that Karnataka cannot undertake any construction across the river without Tamil Nadu’s consent, a position upheld by the Supreme Court. Calling Shivakumar’s claims “false”, Anbumani said Tamil Nadu has both the right and duty to oppose the project.
Reiterating his demand, the PMK leader urged the Union Ministry of Water Resources to reject the DPR and called on the Tamil Nadu government to take firm steps to safeguard the State’s interests over the Cauvery river.

